The Open College of the Arts is the distance learning college of the University for the Creative Arts – one of the UK’s leading specialist art and design universities.
The BA (Hons) Moving Image degree assumes very little prior knowledge beyond the basic camera operations and editing techniques. Technically, it is built upon the relatively recent advances in digital video that have grown out of still photography using a DSLR camera and the now affordable editing applications that are widely available.
The OCA BA (Hons) Moving Image degree offers a broad range of exploration possibilities and aims to equip the student with a set of skills that aids their progression into whichever field of the moving image that they should choose. This degree is modular in concept and delivery and the student is free to choose from the available units to suit their own interests and aspirations.
- Provide an intellectually stimulating programme based on high quality study material and tutor support
- Develop students’ creative capacities and their ability in the interpretation and application of lens based imagery
- Introduce students to historical and contemporary moving image practices across a range of disciplines, including documentary, feature, fine art and conceptual approaches
- Develop students’ critical understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to moving image practice as well as the social, historical and cultural context in which it is practised
- Provide an environment in which the student has the possibility of changing their view of the world and their interaction with it both visually and intellectually
- Foster high-level ethical and professional standards and an awareness of the possibilities offered by existing and new developments in the moving image to expand their application areas
- Develop autonomous learners capable of applying intellectual and practical skills in a chosen area of the moving image appropriate to employment, further study or life-long learning
- Build the confidence and skills necessary to sustain practice
“The OCA has given me a fulfilling sense of purpose, developed my skills, and enabled me to share experiences with fellow students. I really enjoy the variety of exercises which stimulate my need to experiment and discover new ways of expressing myself artistically.”
Roselyne Edwards, Fine Art student
Programme Leader for Moving Image
My work as an educator extends from a genuine interest in the ever shifting language that surrounds the creation, manipulation and dissemination of the photographic image. I very much enjoy the dialogue between my students, their work and the context that it inhabits towards the furthering of our collective knowledge.
The creative sector employs 1.9 million people in the UK alone.
By studying the OCA BA (Hons) Moving Image degree, you can kick-start your career in the creative industries by working part-time or doing an internship whilst gaining your academic qualifications at the same time.
The film and moving image industry is a highly competitive area of the creative sector. Your OCA BA (Hons) Moving Image degree will provide you with an edge by providing you with the technical, theoretical and professional skills demanded by this now thriving industry. You will come out of your degree with a large portfolio of work that demonstrates your abilities to a prospective employer. Careers open to graduates include Television Camera Operator, Runner, Broadcast Engineer, Film Editor. You will be employable by large corporations such as Sky, BBC, ITV, C4 etc., as well as by independent film production companies and public sector organisations.
For more information on the careers your Moving Image degree can lead to, please see the Photography and Film section on Prospects.ac.uk.More on careersEnquire