OCA preloader logo
Applying to OCA - The Open College of the Arts | Distance Learning Degrees and Courses
To find out more details about the transfer to The Open University see A New Chapter for OCA.

Applying to OCA

Unlike with other universities, you do not need any qualifications to study with OCA. You don’t need to have studied arts subjects before, you don’t need A-levels or an HND - whatever the case, you can study with us.

OCA was set up in order to provide easy access to arts education without barriers. You can start studying with us when you are ready; all you need to do is find the course you’re interested in, click enrol and we’ll do the rest.

Some courses recommend that you have some qualifications or background before starting. For example the BA (Hons) Music degree recommends that students starting have completed either ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory, or have completed OCA’s Open Music Foundation. This is there to ensure maximum engagement with the course so you can get the most out of it.

If you are an international student, we do require evidence of English language ability to begin the course, which needs to be at Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In these cases we do require documentary evidence, although we are flexible in what can be accepted as evidence. Please see the Student Regulations for the full list of appropriate documents.

As study at OCA is at a distance, much of the materials and support you’ll access is online. So in order to do the course you’ll need to be confident in using IT, setting up blogs and using online libraries.

If you have a disability get in touch with us as early as possible. We’ll work with you to understand what you need, and make sure it gets setup so you can easily access your learning. We’ve got more info on studying with a disability here.

Studying with Disabilities, Health Issues and Caring Responsibilities

Learn more

Gaining Exemptions for Accreditations of Previous Learning

Learn more

How to Register for a BA (HONS) Degree

You can register for a degree course by submitting an enrolment form found at the bottom of your chosen degree information page. If you need help completing the enrolment form, please watch the guidance video below which will take you through the form step by step.

How to Register for a Degree