The Open College of the Arts is the distance learning college of the University for the Creative Arts – one of the UK’s leading specialist art and design universities.
This unique BA (Hons) Interior Design Open Degree places emphasis on the positive reshaping of attitudes and preconceptions of interior design. It is designed to foster ambition and creativity so that students can become spatial dreamers, architectural investigators and playful innovators of interiors.
The BA (Hons) Interior Design degree will encourage students to challenge and propose new and innovative occupations of space and will allow students the freedom to develop their own individual design identities, using digital and analogue software and techniques. The course will encourage students to creatively explore and challenge the notion of space and how it is used, whilst incrementally introducing them to the technical, practical and professional skills of interior design. Students will question both the physical, and the invisible, to initiate rigorous methods of process led research and experimentation, as the foundation of imaginative and well realised designs.
- To widen access to education in interior design through open and flexible learning.
- To provide an intellectually stimulating programme based on high quality study program and tutor support.
- To develop students’ creative capacities and their ability to synthesise, reflect, respond, apply and simulate findings.
- To ensure that students develop a high-level ability in 2D & 3D skills, both analogue and digital media to successfully communicate designs that are professionally and academically recognised.
- To develop students’ critical understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to the practice of interior design and the social, historical and cultural context in which it is practiced.
- To foster high-level ethical and professional standards and an awareness of the responsibilities and developments surrounding interior design.
- To develop autonomous learners capable of applying intellectual and practical skills in a chosen area of interior design appropriate to employment, further study or life-long learning.
- To provide an environment in which the student has the possibility of changing their view of the world and their interaction with it both visually and intellectually.
Now Open to Enrolments!
Foundations Interior Design
The Foundations: Interior Design course aims to stimulate your enthusiasm for designing spaces and provide a foundation level course which may lead on to the forthcoming BA (Hons) Interior Design degree programme.
Programme Leader for Interior Design
I’ve been a commercial interior designer for over a decade and I have taught in a number of institutions developing a passion for ambitious and progressive interior design practice and education.
My postgraduate studies focused on the psychology of how and why people use space and how companies and organisations can manipulate space to improve revenue.
As an interior designer, I never work solely on the interior space and I see great value in cross-disciplinary design. As well as creating and leading my own projects, I also work collaboratively with artists, furniture designers, textile designers, graphic designers, ceramicists and many other practitioners. I am part of a small international group of cross-discipline designers that use a variety of techniques and influences to inform our work. We have collaborated on various pieces together from knitted spaces to exhibitions.
The creative sector employs 1.9 million people in the UK alone.
By studying the OCA BA (Hons) Interior Design degree, you can kick-start your career in the creative industries by working part-time or doing an internship whilst gaining your academic qualifications at the same time.
Achieving a degree in Interior Design prepares you for a career in a variety of fields. Through the broad practical and theoretical skills you will have acquired during your studies, you will be highly employable not just for a career specifically in the fields of Interior Design, but in a range of industries and sectors. As well as a career in as an Interior Designer, you will have careers such as teacher, lecturer, curator, art editor or consultant, amongst many more, open to you.
Due to the OCA’s emphasis on practical work, you will have a substantial portfolio of work to take with you to potential employers, and if you opt to use a blog to document your learning journey throughout your studies, you will already have a rich online presence which can be a useful asset in promoting your future work to the world. For more information on the careers your OCA BA (Hons) Interior Design degree can lead to, please see the Prospects.ac.uk.More on careersEnquire