The Sustaining Your Practice unit represents the culmination of the final level of study, where you will amalgamate the practical project that you started in Creative Arts 3: Body of Work and your contextual and theoretical research conducted in Creative Arts 3: Research. You will use Sustaining Your Practice to finalise and resolve the presentation of your major project and deliver it to a public audience, selecting a form (e.g. publication, installation/exhibition, screening) as appropriate to your project. You will continue to explore the interdisciplinary nature of contemporary practice across the arts and will develop your understanding of the inter-relationship between your two specialist disciplines, and will articulate this with greater fluency and authority. Where the focus of Body of Work has been on finding your personal voice as a practitioner, Sustaining Your Practice is concerned with articulating that voice to an audience.
Sustaining Your Practice will guide you through the various stages of organising an exhibition or publication, and preparing yourself for extending and sustaining your creative practice beyond the degree pathway. You will develop your understanding of the professional context with which you intend to engage and your appreciation of the myriad professional opportunities within the visual arts sector. You will examine funding opportunities, the importance of social media and networking in the promotion of your creative practice, and explore ways to take your work to wider audiences.
The aims of this unit are:
- A1 develop your knowledge of interdisciplinary practices and the creative arts sector and refine your practice to a professional standard.
- A2 develop your understanding of the variety of creative strategies for presenting and contextualizing your creative practice.
- A3 develop the necessary interpersonal and organizational skills to operate effectively and ethically in a professional creative environment and within ethical frameworks.
- A4 foster a sense of entrepreneurship and develop your understanding of strategies to disseminate your work by developing professional relationships with markets and audiences.
- A5 further develop your critical, analytical and evaluative skills so that you can identify and develop your creative practice.
On satisfactory completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the techniques and theoretical context(s) relevant to your practice and have an understanding of the professional dimensions that underpin a successful artistic practice (A1)
- LO2 Present a coherent and resolved piece or body of work, making creative presentation decisions that complement your subject and/or your artistic strategies (A2)
- LO3 Operate in professional contexts that are relevant to your practice, requiring the application of specific interpersonal, professional and business skills, within an ethical framework (A3)
- LO4 Independently disseminate your work by establishing relationships and networks with audiences and markets (A4)
- LO5 Confidently engage a public audience with your work and analyse, review and evaluate information relevant to your practice, identifying opportunities for professional and creative development (A5)