|Level 1 (HE4)||Level 2 (HE5)||Level 3 (HE6)|
|A Textiles Vocabulary||Contemporary Practice||Advanced Textiles|
|Mixed Media for Textiles||Developing Creative Textiles||Your Own Portfolio|
|Click here for the Textiles Degree Pathway|
The BA (Hons) Textiles degree programme will develop your textiles arts practice with a wide range of media and techniques. You will also develop your creative capacities in the interpretation and application of imagery, tactile awareness and understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to the practice of textile art. The programme focuses on the study of textiles and developing the intellectual, practical and transferable skills. It is flexible to your interests, enabling you to become an independent maker of contemporary textiles and accessories or a practical artist using textiles as your media to develop a personal artistic vision or voice. Course units at levels 1 and 2 guide you through stages to develop innovative work, showing technical, creative and analytical skills by using a structured approach that is process driven. The units at level 3 enable you to focus on your personal interests to further develop your own individual voice using approaches that may be conceptual, or, for example, relate to the market place or the environment. The aims of the BA (Hons) Textiles are to:
- Widen access to education in textiles at undergraduate level through Open and Flexible Learning.
- Ensure you gain the traditional skills in textiles to form a solid foundation for further development.
- Provide an intellectually stimulating programme of study based on high quality study material and tutor support.
- Develop your creative capacities and your ability in interpretation and application.
- Develop your critical understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to the practice of textiles and the social, historical and cultural context in which it is practiced.
- Provide an environment in which you have has the possibility of changing your view of the world and your interaction with it both visually and intellectually.
- Foster high-level ethical and professional standards and an awareness of the possibilities offered by existing and new developments in textiles to expand your application areas.
- To develop autonomous learners capable of applying intellectual and practical skills in a chosen area of visual communications appropriate to employment, further study, or life-long learning.
Studying with the OCA
With our open learning approach, the OCA provides a real alternative to traditional campus based learning. Our inspiring course materials enable you to work at your own pace, in your own time, and whenever you choose to study. We have a thriving community of students all following their passion and achieving at the highest levels, supported by tutors who are experienced teachers and textile artists and designers. As you work towards your degree, your work will be assessed against a set of criteria by our accrediting university the UCA, one of Europe’s largest specialist universities for art, design, architecture, media and communication. This enables you to gain HE credits towards your degree and is based on an examination of your course portfolio rather than a formal exam.
The flexibility of the OCA means you can complete your degree to suit you, taking anything from 3 to 12 years. The full degree programme must be completed in 12 years.
Interested in this degree?
With our flexible open learning approach you enrol on one course or one level at a time as you study towards your degree. The degree pathway sets out the options for you to study, allowing you to tailor what you study as your interests develop.