|Level 1 (HE4)||Level 2 (HE5)||Level 3 (HE6)|
|Drawing Skills||Exploring Concepts||Contextual Studies | Major Project|
|Practice of Painting||Mixed Media||Sustaining your Practice (Professional Practice)|
|Click here for the full Painting Degree pathway|
The BA (Hons) in Painting is for those who wish to focus on drawing and painting to become reflective artists with the skills necessary to effectively develop a personal artistic vision or voice. A range of options at Level 1 (HE4) also provides the opportunity to explore another visual art discipline to enrich and broaden your skills including sculpture and printmaking.
What is painting?
That the nature of painting is subject of continual debate will be confronted throughout the painting degree programme. While the programme asserts the importance of the development of traditional technical skills in drawing and painting as the basis for your enquiry and practice, that development process may result in your work growing in either traditional or more conceptual terms and you will be encouraged to pursue the route you desire. The aims of the painting degree are to:
- Widen access to education in painting at undergraduate level through Open and Flexible Learning.
- Ensure you gain the traditional skills associated with drawing and painting to form a solid foundation for further development.
- Provide an intellectually stimulating programme of study based on high quality study material delivered by experienced artists.
- Develop your creative capacities and ability in the interpretation and application of imagery.
- Develop your critical understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to the practice of painting and the social, historical and cultural context in which it is practiced.
- Provide an environment in which you have the possibility of changing your view of the world and your interaction with it both visually and intellectually.
- 7. Foster high-level ethical and professional standards and an awareness of the possibilities offered by existing and new developments in art and painting to expand your application areas
The art courses build as you progress through the levels so you gain a broad knowledge and critical understanding of the principles of Art and knowledge of emerging aspects of the discipline and those at the forefront of debate. The degree includes options in drawing, painting, printmaking, and sculpture. You will have gained the ability to communicate information and justify your work, and be a resourceful and independent learner. You will have a breadth of creativity and inventiveness, as well as a range of artistic techniques. You will be able to articulate and comment upon underpinning art theory and concepts through writing and speech.
Painting students’ work
Studying with the OCA
With our open learning approach, the OCA provides a real alternative to traditional campus based learning. Our inspiring course materials enable you to work at your own pace, in your own time, and whenever you choose to study. We have a thriving community of students all following their passion and achieving at the highest levels, supported by tutors who are experienced teachers and practising artists. As you work towards your degree, your work will be assessed against a set of criteria by our accrediting university the UCA, one of Europe’s largest specialist universities for art, design, architecture, media and communication. This enables you to gain HE credits towards your degree and is based on an examination of your course portfolio rather than a formal exam. Click here to find out more about studying with the OCA.
The flexibility of the OCA means you can complete your degree to suit you, taking anything from 3 to 12 years. The full degree programme must be completed in 12 years. Interested in this degree? With our flexible open learning approach you enrol on one course or one level at a time as you study towards your degree. The degree pathway sets out the options for you to study, allowing you to tailor what you study as your interests develop.
Choose your first course now
- Download the degree handbook BA (Hons) Painting Degree handbook for details of all the courses available within this degree.
- You can also browse all available degree courses from the Subjects tab at the top of the website.
- For a quick overview of the degree download the BA (Hons) Painting Degree pathway diagram.
- Download the Guide to OCA booklet