Open Foundations Courses
Level 1 (HE4)
The introduction of a new HE4 (Level 1) unit is planned for the academic year 2018/19 – ‘Writing 1: Starting Your Novel’.
Level 2 (HE5)
Level 3 (HE6)
Open courses in creative writing can be studied individually for personal development, towards a creative writing degree or as part of a creative arts degree. All students have a personal tutor who has practical experience as a writer in their relevant literary genre, who provides detailed feedback on projects and assignments. Students studying the level 3 Open courses, Writing Advanced and Your Own Portfolio, are given the opportunity to choose their own tutor on the basis of the relevance of the tutor’s published work to the student’s own writing.
Through studying Creative Writing with the OCA, you will:
- be supported in finding your own voice as a writer and becoming an effective writing practitioner
- gain experience of writing in a variety of literary forms, including life writing, poetry, short fiction and writing for children
- work with tutors who are published writers
- be encouraged to develop the disciplines of a professional writer, including observation and reflection through keeping a journal and common-place book
- develop your critical understanding of the theoretical and conceptual issues central to the practice of writing, and the theoretical and historical context in which they developed
- be given both a rigorous structure for study and practice and the flexibility and freedom to take creative risks
- extend your critical faculty for your own work and the work of other writers.
Choosing your Open course
We have a range of Open courses to match your interests. Choose from the list of Open courses available, enrol online and within a few days you will receive your materials and you can start your creative arts journey with the OCA.
If this is your first Open course we would recommend you start with Writing Skills to give you a strong foundation.
Click here if you are interested in studying the BA (Hons) Creative Writing: BA (Hons Creative Writing degree page and find out more about the programme.