This unit represents the culmination of the knowledge, understanding and skills acquired throughout your study on the Open course and provides an opportunity to undertake a self-directed major project, present your work to a professional standard, and identify appropriate progression routes into employment, self-employment, professional practice or continued education.
This is a self-directed unit, structured to support the process of undertaking a substantial self-initiated or self-selected project, preparing work for presentation and developing a contextual awareness of your practice. The major project can take the form of self-directed, competition and / or client led briefs.
You will be encouraged to explore the contextual location of your practice through researching, and / or undertaking work-related learning in your practice areas; identify potential progression routes and develop the necessary strategy, self-promotion and presentation skills to help realise your aims. You will be encouraged to develop a portfolio of work to present to a wider audience, through portfolios, online exhibitions or other appropriate means.
This unit encourages a high degree of self-motivation and autonomy. The learning log and assignments will be used to support the development of self-reflection, critique, time-management and professionalism.
The unit aims to:
- A1 enable students to demonstrate a synthesis of prior learning, practical and conceptual understanding in the resolution of a self-initiated major project
- A2 demonstrate specific knowledge and understanding of your chosen discipline
- A3 support and inform the development of an individually appropriate strategy for progression into employment, self-employment, professional practice or continued education
- A4 encourage self-motivation, autonomy and professionalism
- A5 extend design, presentation and creative skills by applying a personal visual language to a substantial self-initiated major project and by generating artwork to a high visual standard.
On satisfactory completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 demonstrate specialist knowledge and contextual understanding of your practice and develop promotional strategies to communicate this to an external audience (A1, A2, A3, A4)
- LO2 initiate and undertake self-directed projects that show creative application of a personal visual language (A1, A4)
- LO3 respond to project work by undertaking and assimilating research, developing creative ideas, undertaking visual experimentation and producing outcomes to a high visual standard (A1, A5)
- LO4 present a synthesis of your creative and technical skills, conceptual and contextual understanding of your practice through a sustained body of work (A1, A2, A3, A5).