This unit builds on the learning and the breadth of skills experience undertaken at previous levels and provides an opportunity to advance specialist skills in a chosen textile discipline.
The textile course has at the previous levels given a broad experience to a range of processes and skills. This unit offers the opportunity to advance and/ or extend the potential of any one or a combination of these disciplines as appropriate to your needs and personal interests. It could also give the opportunity to extend skills in application of your own work to, interiors, products, fashion and fashion accessories or the requirements of site-specific works.
In consultation with your tutor, you will devise a programme of work that allows you to research areas of personal interest and at the same time will lead you to develop and advance your chosen discipline in more depth.
The focus will be on improving the quality and scope of your work, to further develop your personal visual language, and apply your technical skills with increasing professional understanding.
The unit will support your continued development of your interpretive and design skills, development of ideas and your own visual language and identity. The learning log will be used to document and reflect on the learning journey, to critically evaluate how your work connects with the market forces, towards commission work and /or exhibition opportunities for textile art works.
The aims of the unit are to:
- A1 Enable you to apply creative problem solving and interpretive skills at an advanced level
- A2 Develop your personal visual language, making use of specialist skills and knowledge
- A3 Deepen your understanding and knowledge of both the technical scope and contextual understanding of the subject
- A4 Support you to undertake a sustained project, developing ideas, research, and addressing the application of skill and quality into finished outcomes
- A5 further develop your understanding of professional practice.
On successful completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 demonstrate the use of analysis and creative thinking in interpreting and responding to self-initiated and/or commission led projects (A1)
- LO2 show proficiency in using personal visual language and practical work (samples) to communicate ideas effectively (A2)
- LO3 determine both the technical scope and a critical and contextual understanding of a chosen textile processes (A3)
- LO4 establish the ability to develop ideas, sustain a project from its inception to a final outcomes that take into account the audience and/ or requirements of the client (A4)
- LO5 demonstrate an understanding of how your own work connects with market forces, commission work and /or exhibition opportunities for textile art works (A5)
- Technical advancement of the chosen subject area
- An overview of the technical and design process; looking at the contemporary, historical or ethnographical context.
- Artists and designers working in your chosen discipline.
- The relationship and appropriateness of raw material to product; Choice and use of materials ( traditional, sustainable, recycled and future)
- Scale and site specific requirements
- 2 and 3 dimensional work
- Colour and style forecasting to meet market needs.
- Developing a personal visual language through visual research and idea development techniques.
- Working to a brief; (self-initiated or commission led), developing analytical skills; developing ideas into finished textile work.