This unit builds on the creative skills-base developed in both Textiles 1 courses and will enable you to explore and respond imaginatively to colour through research, design development and textile fabrication. You will develop practical skills within craft-based, specialisms and advance design ideas based on contextual research and awareness of twenty-first century art and design.
Colour will be a particular focus. Part One will allow you to investigate colour and trend forecasting and develop your own colour inspirations as a trend book based on desktop and first hand research. Part Two will allow you to develop an understanding of twenty-first century textiles within the context of contemporary art, design and industry and produce written work based on artists and designers working within the field. Both stages will form the basis of creative design investigations and will prompt the development a range of textiles for specific end uses. The following stages will allow you to explore print as image and pattern-based ideas for interior applications; constructed textiles for gallery-based artwork; and, mixed media solutions for fashion-focussed solutions. The final stage will assist you in assessment preparation.
This unit will be removed as an elective unit from the BA Hons Creative Arts degree pathway from 28 February 2019
The course aims to:
- A1 advance the subject of colour to prompt innovative textile ideas through creative design methodologies;
- A2 explore a range of textile craft techniques and progress an individual approach to problem solving and design development;
- A3 develop research methodology and analytical skills within the field of contemporary textiles, fashion and art through practical and theoretical study;
- A4 develop your ability to review and analyse your work within the context of the course aims.
On successful completion of the unit you will be able to:
- Creatively apply the principles of colour and trend forecasting and develop a range of new ideas for textiles in response to personal inspiration.
- Demonstrate creative design development within craft-based textiles and produce innovative solutions for product end-uses within set projects.
- Critically review the work of artists, designers, cultural influences and industry that have contributed to the development of contemporary textiles.
- Critically review your work against course aims and within the context of contemporary art and design.
- Colour trend book
- Twenty-first century textiles
- Textiles: Print
- Textiles: Constructed
- Textiles: Mixed media