This textiles course establishes the use of mixed media to develop skills in sample making that encourage you to be innovative, curious and creative. It will enable you to explore materials, medium and methods as a way of developing design outcomes. You will understand the value of risk taking and serendipity in the design process.
Throughout this textiles course you will develop creative and effective record keeping, which will include evaluating and sorting your work. The purpose and practice of broad and thorough research will be introduced. Extensive use of drawing will be expected in all parts of the design process.
- A1 introduce sample making as a method of developing textile design ideas.
- A2 explore a number of different ways to manipulate materials.
- A3 introduce exploratory printmaking techniques.
- A4 establish skills in researching artists and designers appropriate to this course.
- A5 effectively record design outcomes, evaluate sample making methods and materials.
- LO1 Develop skills in exploring ways to use mixed media for textiles based outcomes.
- LO2 Understand the importance of sample and prototype making when developing design ideas.
- LO3 Demonstrate the use of researching contemporary and historical artists and designers when developing design ideas.
- LO4 Effective reflection and analysis leading to the development of a personal understanding of creativity.
- Mixed media materials and techniques
- Sample making
- Sketchbook development
- Material analysis
- Recording outcomes
Unit Leader for Textiles 1: Mixed Media for Textiles
“Fascinated by structures and construction methods, my creative practice as a knitwear designer explores and exploits the properties of traditional craft techniques to create unusual constructed textiles…”
Read the rest of Cari’s profile here