The Open College of the Arts is the distance learning college of the University for the Creative Arts – one of the UK’s leading specialist art and design universities.
This Open course aims to equip you with fundamental creative, visual and technical skills in photography. It is a practical, task oriented course filled with creative approaches to making photographs that will help you develop your photography as a means of imaginative self-expression and experimentation. The course is rooted in the main genres of photography and will provide you with a solid intellectual foundation, in plain language, to pursue photography at Degree level. It can equally be studied as a stand-alone course which will transform how you think about photography and the photographs you take.
Robert Enoch on Open Foundations – Photography
The course aims to:
- familiarise students with workflow, techniques, experimentation, visual effect & visual strategy.
- provide a solid understanding of the camera and how to use shutter and lens to creative effect.
- explain how to use shadows, stillness and movement effectively
- explore the portrait through the use of depth, distance, composition and light
- examine the role of narrative in photography through the use of series and sequences, staging and juxtaposition
- discover the inspiration of visual research in the creative practice of photography
- combine images, objects and concepts to create still lives.
- You will make a large portfolio of creatively diverse projects.
- You will develop a productive and positive attitude.
- You will understand fundamental visual skills vital for creating effective imagery.
- You will gain a knowledge of the fundamental genres of photography.
- You will have experimented widely with a variety of visual strategies and techniques and gained those as tools to put to work in new projects.
- You will organize your workflow to provide you with a seamless structure and the confidence to create serious work.
- You will understand the ways photographs communicate to the viewer and appreciate the viewer’s experience.
Unit Leader for Foundations in Photography
“Freelance photographer, visual artist and educational practitioner based in Glasgow. Interested in social engagement through arts practice, educational outreach programmes and the transforming power of the arts. Currently concentrating on artistic practice and developing freelance photographic work, through further study, commissions and residencies…”
Read the rest of Gina’s profile here