The Exploring Media unit helps provide a structured but experimental approach to your personal practice, giving you the confidence to develop and express ideas creatively and to connect these to an expanding understanding of current contemporary art practice and its influences. The Exploring Media unit will allow you to work with a wide range of media, testing both familiar and new materials. You will be guided through this unit by working on a series of exercises that progressively build your skills and understanding in the use of appropriation methods, devising new ways to rework the old.
This unit will be developed for autum 2018
This unit will be removed as an elective unit from the BA Hons Creative Arts degree pathway from 28 February 2019
The course aims to:
- A1 explore painting and mixed media techniques and materials in depth
- A2 use a range visual and contextual research to inform your own practice
- A3 experiment with mark making and material handling in isolated and combined media as a means to develop creative thinking
- A4 engage with historical and contemporary artistic practices in the field of mixed media and painting and reflect on these in your own practice
On satisfactory completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 demonstrate a rigorous engagement with a range of techniques and materials (A1)
- LO2 communicate complex ideas through your practice (A2)
- LO3 evidence experimentation in your practice and reflect on your own learning experience (A3)
- LO4 position, reflect and critique historical and contemporary contexts that inform your practice (A4)
- Textural and multiple surfaces: visual and physical texture, collage, multi-patterned, multiples, mirroring, re-photographing, editing, digital.
- The abstract image: re-scale, re-invent, re-colour, deconstruct, reinvent,
- The appropriated and displaced image: found, repeated, multiple or temporary images, contextual, cultural, the intimate and the narrative.
- Image and text: text as image, ‘found’ text, autobiography and identity, film, digital
- The expanded picture plane: frames, boxes and object paintings, objects and painting relations, found materials, surface, textiles
- Representation: reproduction, re-presentation, cross/ alternative media
- On going critical research: Learning log (blog) entries with evidence of practice led research (personal research, on going artists’ research), critical evaluation, contextual referencing from books, magazines, online reviews etc