The Open College of the Arts is the distance learning college of the University for the Creative Arts – one of the UK’s leading specialist art and design universities.
This course introduces you to painting practice, practical application and contextual material.
The unit provides a brief overview of painting and draws on historic and contemporary work as examples of stylistic and technical approaches. Within this context you will be introduced to different skills and techniques and grow your knowledge and understanding of a range of painting media.
You will explore a range of subject matter including still life, interiors, landscape and the figure and there will be an emphasis on working from life. You will also be required to make preparatory sketches and studies to help you understand composition in painting and different ways of responding to a subject. An experimental approach to visual research is encouraged throughout the course, to support and enhance the development of your ideas.
- A1 : Introduce you to the technical skills and materials for painting.
- A2 : Introduce you to historical and contemporary painting practice.
- A3 : Develop your ability to select, edit and present a body of work.
- A4 : Use visual research and experimentation to create a portfolio of work.
- LO1 : Demonstrate an understanding of the technical skills and materials for painting.
- LO2 : Demonstrate an understanding of the context for painting and reflect on your own work.
- LO3 : Present a selected body of work.
- LO4 : Develop and communicate your ideas as a painter.