The Open College of the Arts is the distance learning college of the University for the Creative Arts – one of the UK’s leading specialist art and design universities.
This unit will develop your creative and practical skills as well as building your practical knowledge and theoretical understanding of the core principles of interior design. This content will be contextualised through analysis and exploration of current and historical precedents and will culminate in the communication of a final design in response to a written brief. To achieve this, you will be introduced to the root principles in design, and develop skills in the following key areas.
The content will introduce you to the basic principles of space and what elements make up an “interior”. You will learn how to analyse spaces in the built environment through observation and consideration of human interaction, movement, motion and zoning. You will explore surfaces and architectural elements of space and learn how these can influence and shape the way we use them. You will learn how to explore and unpick a brief, whilst challenging the parameters of interior design. The unit will conclude with the expression of these principles through the development of your communication skills both visual and technical. Using digital and analogue techniques, you will create an imaginative and challenging response to the aforementioned brief. Throughout the unit, you will be encouraged to reflect and contextualise on your development and progress and evaluate your design practice.
The aims of this unit are to:
- A1 To allow you to explore basic interior design principles through observation and analysis of existing spaces and designs and develop an understanding of the circulation and use of space
- A2 To allow you to explore the basic elements of interior design including architectural structures, major features, lighting and materials and build your spatial design vocabulary within the context of precedent designs
- A3 To introduce you to a basic level of formal and informal methods of creative exploration and communication, including sketching, model making, schematics, technical drawing and digital visualisation
- A4 To develop your reflective skills and evaluate appropriateness using the core principles of the unit
On satisfactory completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 Begin to use multiple forms of media to demonstrate research, observation and analysis of existing spaces and designs, and develop an understanding of the circulation and use of space
- LO2 Begin to use multiple forms of media to demonstrate an understanding of the basic elements of interior design including architectural structures, major features, lighting, materials and spatial design vocabulary and express how these inform interior spaces
- LO3 Begin to demonstrate a thorough approach to creative exploration and communication by evidencing sketches, model making, schematics, technical drawing and digital visualisation
- LO4 Begin to adopt and communicate effective reflective skills and evaluation of the design outcome, appropriate to the core principles of the unit
This will comprise:
- Exercises, projects and assignments in unit materials
- Formative assessments comprising written feedback and interaction with tutor via email, phone and video
- Summative assessment
- Peer support through engagement with student forums and critique on blogs
- Documentation of the learning journey through a learning log or blog
- Independent research
- Online technical support library
The above hours are indicative and will vary from student to student