This course is currently in the process of being updated. The new version will be made available in 2018.
The unit aims to provide a broad practical and contextual introduction to book design. It introduces basic design processes, skills and techniques through a range of assignments that explore layout, book binding, and basic design skills.
You will apply your knowledge and understanding of book design by undertaking a range of practical tasks that requires the development of ideas and research, the application of design principles, exploring visual language and narrative within books, and a range of practical design and making skills. Drawing on contemporary and historical examples of book design, you will develop a contextual understanding of publishing and creative book design.
This course aims to:
- A1 to provide a broad contextual overview of book design and publishing
- A1 to appreciate the role of design principles and narrative in book construction
- A2 to introduce and develop practical skills in book design and construction
- A3 to develop ideas and research into finished outcomes
- A4 to develop self reflective and critical skills
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- LO1 demonstrate a broad contextual understanding of book design and publishing (A1, A2);
- LO2 employ basic skills in book design, layout and construction (A3);
- LO3 generate ideas, research, and proposals that demonstrate an awareness of design principles (A2, A5);
- LO4 present ideas, prototypes and visual outcomes effectively (A4).
- An overview of book design; a brief history of book design, publishing, and the book cover; looking at contemporary and historical examples
- An introduction to basic layout, typography and use of images in magazine spreads and small publications, desk top publishing, simple book construction, use of paper, book binding and printing techniques, developing mock ups and prototypes
- An exploration of the use of narrative within book design working across multiple pages; and an overview of design principles in developing ideas, researching and presenting prototypes and finished products.
Unit Leader for Book Design 1: Principles and Process
“I am a book designer, graphic designer and artist based in London. My freelance work includes books, exhibition designs, publicity materials and private commissions. I work for several publishers, galleries and organisations with projects in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and France…”
Read the rest of Welmoet’s profile here