This unit builds on the foundation of research and study skills that you have already acquired through completing Creative Arts Today at level 4 and your reflective learning that you have extensively continued with up to this point. You now have the opportunity to bring together a self-initiated research project that unifies the two distinct subject areas that you have been developing throughout this course so far.
For creative arts students understanding your unique area of creative expression is key to unlocking your potential for communicating your creative practice to the outside world. In this unit you will undertake research and study that will enable you to gain comprehensive knowledge of your chosen creative arts field. In consultation with a tutor/supervisor, chosen specifically to best respond to your unique practice, you will build a theoretical framework to contextualise your creative arts practice and the portfolio you develop in Advanced: body of work. The unit will develop the research, writing and critical skills, presentation skills and critical and contextual awareness necessary for level six academic practices.
This unit will form an essential part of your creative arts practice in Advanced: body of work, which in turn will also feed into this unit. A significant overlap between this unit and Advanced: body of work is therefore essential in order to articulate your unique creative activity.
The aims of this unit are:
- A1 apply a level of synthesis between theory and practice
- A2 offer support to develop your ideas and produce a critique that provides a theoretical framework for your portfolio of work
- A3 undertake a body of practical research as well as critical and contextual understanding of your two combined creative fields
- A4 consolidate your critical, analytical and reflective skills so that you can articulate abstract concepts into coherent written information
- A5 develop effective approaches to the documentation and communication of research findings
- A6 identify a personal creative arts language.
On satisfactory completion of the unit you will be able to:
- LO1 undertake research and study demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of your combined areas of specialisation and build a theoretical framework for your creative practice (A2)
- LO2 synthesise and articulate your critical, contextual and conceptual knowledge and understanding into a coherent critique of advanced academic standard (A3)
- LO3 apply your own criteria of judgement, review, criticise and take responsibility for your own work with minimum guidance (A1, A4)
- LO4 construct a written argument and practical investigation that informs and is informed by your personal creative arts language (A5, A6).
- Negotiated learning that will lead to the production of a 1000 word written proposal, accompanied by relevant bibliographic resources, that outlines the aims and scope of a dissertation-style essay.
- Development of a 5,000-word essay based on the above proposal.
- Strategies for sourcing and researching relevant learning materials.
- Conventions for writing academic essays.
- Solutions for the delivery and dissemination of your dissertation-style essay.