Art History courses
The OCA art history courses are unique on their approach, giving understanding to the cultural and historical context of art. You will develop your observational skills using annotation and photography and be able to work with a systematic structure for analysing, researching and recording information that can be applied to any art form.
Level 1 (HE4)
Level 2 (HE5)
Level 3 (HE6)
Our art history courses are relevant to many of the degree programmes available through the OCA across disciplines and can be studied from level 1 to 3 as part of the BA(Hons) in Creative Arts or at level 1 as part of the BA(Hons) Photography and BA(Hons) Painting programmes.
Art history courses:
- Can be studied individually for personal development or together towards a degree.
- Provide an intellectually stimulating programme of study based on high quality study material and tutors who are experienced art historians.
- Show you how to annotate works of art, noting the various aspects of them in detail: both technical and aesthetic
- Take you through the core theories that underpin a contemporary understanding of visual culture, looking at theories about how we look at the world and understand the visual vocabulary that describes it
- Give you free access to the world renowned Bridgeman Education Art Library and Oxford Art Online which contain thousands of images from the History of Art from all over the world, across the centuries as well as biographies of thousands of artists.